Who is James H. Long?
August 14, 1913 - July 4, 2006
Jim received his BS from Rice University in Chemical Engineering. He was employed by Shell Oil Company in Houston, Texas from June 1937, until he retired in December 1973. He was also a retired rancher.
Accomplishments and voluntary service:
- Active Member of the Central Texas Retirement Club of Shell Oil Company Employees.
- Smithville Heritage Society active in organizing, building and remodeling the Heritage Home, maintaining the property and fundraising events.
- Smithville Cancer Society volunteer designated driver to transport cancer patients to Austin to take radiation or chemotherapy treatments, at least one trip each week and sometimes more. Mr. Long has been in this service for over ten years.
- Chairman of the Smithville Railroad Historical Park, he wrote the by-laws when the park was established in 1989, and has helped plan, build and maintain every phase of development.
- Smithville Noon Lions Club - Former President and actively participated in their fundraising and good works.
- First United Methodist Church Member, and Member of Methodist Men
- Smithville Recycle Center - assisted in designing and building the facility. Smithville has been designated as being one of the four best centers in Texas.
- LaGrange Dance Club Member - ballroom dancing (bi-monthly); and Elgin SPJST Polka Club (twice weekly)
- Awarded "Citizen of the Year" at the Smithville Chamber of Commerce Banquet, 1988. (Nominations submitted by City residents and the surrounding community)
- Dedication of the Smithville Railroad Historical Park to the James H. Long Railroad Historical Park on March 2, 1996 for his outstanding contributions.